Sunday, December 7, 2008

A bold move.

If you find yourself living in the new arctic called Southern Ontario, then you're now witnessing the seasons first bitter blast of winter. I know that by complaining I'm likely emasculating myself, but it really is rather cold out there. Saying -9˚C with a windchill that drops that number by an additional 10˚ is too cold is certainly a defensible position. The bewildering concept here is that we, as Canadians, live with this every single year for approximately four months or more. And every year, the majority of us will also grumble about season with the oft heard utterance of "I hate winter." I too am undeniably guilty of this treason. After my endless gripe while out and about today, my thoughts couldn't help but begin a focus on the immigrants to this country; more notably those from warmer climates.
On more than one occasion, I've witnessed someone else experiencing snow and ice for the first time. You can literally feel their excitement (especially after they've thrown a snowball at you). How long does it take for the seething hatred to consume them? I'm reminded of a bit of humour I read called "Diary of a Snow Shoveler". An excerpt below:
December 12 - The sun has melted all our lovely snow. Such a disappointment. My neighbor tells me not to worry, we'll definitely have a white Christmas. No snow on Christmas would be awful! Bob says we'll have so much snow by the end of winter, that I'll never want to see snow again. I don't think that's possible. Bob is such a nice man, I'm glad he's our neighbor.
...
December 20 - Electricity's back on, but had another 14" of the horrid stuff last night. More shoveling. Took all day. Stupid snowplow came by twice. Tried to find a neighbor kid to shovel, but they said they're too busy playing hockey. I think they're lying. Called the only hardware store around to see about buying a snow blower and they're out. Might have another shipment in March. I think they're lying. Bob says I have to shovel or the city will have it done and bill me. I think he's lying.
more
I imagine the entirety of the above sums things up pretty well. As someone who has lived without the harshness of winter, I can only begin to fathom what goes though the minds of our new residents. What a horrible trade-off for the experience of Canadian life.

No comments: