Saturday, November 29, 2008

Procrastinating in the Name of Writing Exercises

It appears that despite being nearly a decade removed from college, I still maintain the same study habits I did back then. That is to say that I procrastinate like a mo-fo. Back in the day (I make myself feel old when I say that), if it wasn't due until Friday, chances are it was completed at 4 or 5 in the morning on that very Friday. If I had essays due every night that week, then I did and essay a night for the entire week. That's how I rolled, and it managed to serve me well every time--consistently pulling off A's and B's. Sure it might mean sleep deprived, caffeine induced hallucinations and outbursts of random laughter, but the results were always there. The only time I got a C was when I tried to be responsible about my essay writing and work on it a week before it was due. My lesson was learned and I quickly went back to my prior habits.
So now I'm supposedly a responsible adult who's trying to achieve a highly elusive degree. I crave it. I've been thirsty for it for years. The only problem is that I have no hard deadlines for my assignments. The only actual deadline I have is the course end date. Without those deadlines, I have trouble settling down and actually getting work done. Setting personal deadlines ultimately means nothing to me. Complicating the matter is that no matter how awesome I may be (and that's pretty damn awesome), I can't complete an entire courseload in one coffee filled evening. I still manage to find something else to occupy my time, such as cleaning, or writing for a blog.
I truly commend the abilities of those who can work and do correspondence programs at the same time. I'm hoping to develop this dedicative skill where I too can put everything aside and focus on what I need to-- but it's hard. Procrastination's in my nature, and as the everlasting cliché goes; old habits die hard. Start dying already.

One other thing--curiousity is getting the best of me. If you actually read my blogs please be so kind as to comment on this one with a "read it" and your name. If you read it on Facebook, leave a comment there. If you read it from the main site, please leave a comment there. I want to know if my messages of procrastination are actually reaching the populace.

No comments: